Grilled Figgy Pies
Delicious figs combined with maple, walnuts and creamy mascarpone make a decadent treat that's easy to enjoy at a backyard cookout. These unique hand pies always disappear quickly. —Renee Murby, Johnston, Rhode Island
Total TimePrep: 50 min. + freezing Grill: 10 min.
- 2 sheets refrigerated pie crust
- 12 dried figs
- 1/4 cup bourbon
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon maple syrup, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup (about 5 ounces) mascarpone cheese
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- Warm pie crust to room temperature according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine figs and bourbon; add enough water to cover by 1 in. Cook, covered, over low heat until figs are plump, 15-20 minutes. Remove from heat; drain. Cool 15 minutes and pat dry. Cut each fig into quarters. Set aside.
- In same saucepan over medium-low heat, combine walnuts with 1/4 cup maple syrup, cinnamon and nutmeg. Cook, stirring constantly, until liquid is almost evaporated, 5-7 minutes. Spread nuts on a baking sheet lined with parchment; freeze until set, about 10 minutes.
- Unroll pie crusts. Using a 4-in. round cutter, cut 12 circles, rolling and cutting scraps as necessary. Stir vanilla and remaining 1 Tbsp. maple syrup into mascarpone cheese. Spread scant 1 tablespoon mascarpone mixture over half of each circle to within 1/4 in. of edge; layer with 2 teaspoons maple walnuts and 4 fig pieces. Make an egg wash by whisking egg and water; use to moisten edge of crust. Fold crust over filling; press edges with a fork to seal. Repeat with remaining crust and filling. Brush egg wash over pies. Freeze pies on a parchment-lined baking sheet 10 minutes.
- Remove from baking sheet. Grill pies, covered, on a well-greased grill rack over medium direct heat until golden brown, 5-7 minutes per side.
Nutrition Facts1 hand pie: 280 calories, 17g fat (7g saturated fat), 35mg cholesterol, 137mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.