Grilled Cheese and Pickled Onion Sandwich
If you’re looking to add a little bite to your classic grilled cheese recipe, look no further than pickled onions. We love sandwiching a few inside this sandwich for a touch of acidity and some foodie flair. —Josh Rink, Taste of Home Food Stylist
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened, divided
- 8 slices sourdough bread
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp white cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Gruyere cheese
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons finely shredded Manchego or Parmesan cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon onion powder
- 4 ounces Brie cheese, rind removed and sliced
- 1/2 cup pickled pearl onions, halved
- Spread 3 tablespoons butter on one side of each slice of bread. Place bread, butter side down, in a large cast-iron skillet or griddle over medium-low heat until golden brown, 2-3 minutes; remove. In a small bowl, combine cheddar, Monterey Jack and Gruyere. In another bowl, mix together remaining 3 tablespoons butter, mayonnaise, Manchego cheese and onion powder.
- To assemble sandwiches, top toasted side of 4 bread slices with sliced Brie. Sprinkle cheddar cheese mixture evenly over Brie; add pickled onions. Top with remaining bread slices, toasted side facing inward. Spread the butter-mayonnaise mixture on the outsides of each sandwich. Place in same skillet and cook until golden brown and cheese is melted, 5-6 minutes on each side. Serve immediately.