Green Chile Cheeseburgers
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Grill: 15 min.
- 3 whole green chiles, such as Anaheim or Hatch
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 6 slices slices sharp cheddar cheese
- 6 hamburger buns, split and toasted
- Optional toppings: Lettuce leaves, sliced tomato, sliced onion, bacon and mayonnaise
- Grill peppers, covered, over high heat until all sides are blistered and blackened, 8-10 minutes, turning as needed. Immediately place peppers in a small bowl; let stand, covered, 20 minutes. Reduce grill temperature to medium heat.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine beef, salt and pepper; mix lightly but thoroughly. Shape into six 3/4-in.-thick patties.
- Peel off and discard charred skin from peppers. Cut peppers lengthwise in half; carefully remove stems and seeds. Cut into slices or coarsely chop.
- Grill burgers, covered, over medium heat until a thermometer reads 160°, 5-7 minutes on each side. Top with cheese and chiles; grill, covered, until cheese is melted, 1-2 minutes longer. Top bun bottoms with burgers and, if desired, lettuce, tomato and sliced onion.
Nutrition Facts1 burger: 482 calories, 26g fat (11g saturated fat), 116mg cholesterol, 552mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 36g protein.
Jul 13, 2020
A good hearty cheeseburger. The only good peppers at the market were black jalapenos and WOW! I love the heat!
Jun 18, 2020
My husband could eat a hamburger EVERYDAY. This was scrumptious, grilling the chilies was a brilliant idea. I used Poblano Peppers and then chopped them up and made a stuffed burgers. A keeper and my husband asked when we would make these again. Soon. VFE