Greek-Style Stuffed Acorn Squash
With a truckload of acorn squash in my pantry, I wanted to make stuffed squash in lots of different ways. A bottle of Greek seasoning got my creativity flowing. —Teri Rasey, Cadillac, Michigan
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 3 medium acorn squash, halved and seeds removed
- 1 cup lentils
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 3/4 cup uncooked orzo pasta
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 2 teaspoons Greek seasoning
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup french-fried onions
- Additional crumbled feta cheese, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. Place squash halves, cut side up, on a large baking sheet; roast until they can just be pierced with a fork, about 40 minutes. Remove to a wire rack to cool. Meanwhile, place lentils in a large saucepan; add water to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, covered, until tender, 20-25 minutes. Drain. Remove and set aside. In the same saucepan, bring chicken broth to a boil. Add orzo; cook according to package directions for al dente. Drain, reserving broth.
- In a large skillet, cook sausage, crumbling meat, until no longer pink, 6-8 minutes; drain. Add lentils and orzo to skillet; remove from heat. Add 1/2 cup feta cheese and Greek seasoning; mix well.
- Pour reserved chicken broth back into saucepan. Over medium heat, whisk in flour until thickened, then pour into sausage mixture.
- When cool enough to handle, quarter squash and return to baking sheet. Top with sausage mixture. Bake until squash are tender, about 30 minutes. Before serving, sprinkle with french-fried onions and, if desired, additional feta.