Granny’s Gingerbread Cake with Caramel Sauce
The rich molasses and spice flavor of this old-time dessert is complemented with a buttery caramel sauce.—Joy Sparks, Muskegon, Michigan
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 9 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 cup molasses
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup water
- CARAMEL SAUCE:
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup cold water
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Whipped cream, optional
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in molasses and egg until well blended. In another bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with water.
- Transfer to a greased 9-in. square baking pan. Bake at 325° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Place on a wire rack.
- For caramel sauce, in a small saucepan, combine brown sugar and cornstarch. Stir in water until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in butter and vanilla until smooth. Serve with warm cake. Top with whipped cream if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 497 calories, 17g fat (11g saturated fat), 67mg cholesterol, 353mg sodium, 83g carbohydrate (51g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Dec 16, 2019
can you make ahead
Oct 17, 2019
Perfect this cake tastes so good , it’s hard to stop with just one piece. I used the recipe as written and wouldn’t change a thing.
Dec 12, 2012
No comment left