Grandma’s Carrot Cake
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 50 min. + cooling
- 2 cups sugar
- 1-1/2 cups canola oil
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 cups shredded carrots (about 6 medium)
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and flour a 10-in. fluted tube pan.
- Beat first 4 ingredients until well blended. Whisk together flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon; gradually beat into sugar mixture. Stir in carrots and walnuts.
- Transfer to prepared pan. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 50-60 minutes. Cool in pan 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack; cool completely.
- For frosting, beat cream cheese and butter until smooth. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar. Spread over cake.
Health Ttip: Skip the heavy frosting and dust this cake with confectioners’ sugar to save almost 150 calories and 10g fat per serving.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 593 calories, 35g fat (7g saturated fat), 68mg cholesterol, 292mg sodium, 67g carbohydrate (49g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
Jun 9, 2020
Thus recipe is the exact recipe from my Grandmother I have been making for years... with these exceptions: I use black walnuts instead of regular and I use a buttermilk glaze instead of frosting. It’s phenomenal with these changes!
Oct 30, 2019
Smokey I haven't try this cake yet and wanted to ask if this cake can be wrapped in cheesecloth soaked,not heavy in branded ( like I have always done with my old recipes) . I would moisten the cake maybe once a week before Christmas having made them in November. They kept fine and soooo good. Could I do that to this recipe?
Jan 22, 2019
This looks so much like a recipe my Dad got from someone at work years ago, except our recipe didn't include cinnamon or a frosting. Dad was a wonderful cook, and make this cake many, many times. It's so good!!