Grandma Brubaker’s Orange Cookies
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
Makesabout 6 dozen
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs, separated, room temperature
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- Pinch salt
- Juice and grated zest of 2 medium navel oranges
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- Preheat oven to 325°. In a bowl, cream shortening and sugar. Beat in egg yolks and buttermilk. Sift together flour, baking powder, soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with orange juice and zest. Add egg whites and beat until smooth.
- Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto greased cookie sheets. Bake until set, about 10 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- For icing, combine all ingredients and beat until smooth. Frost cooled cookies.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 97 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 6mg cholesterol, 58mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
May 20, 2020
I made these cookies to share with some new colleagues and they all raved about them. It was nice to have something besides chocolate. I had to bake these at 350 degrees for 13 minutes to get them done. At 325, they weren't quite done after 15 minutes.
Oct 14, 2019
Terrible! I'm so glad I noticed this recipe was for 60 cookies before I got too far! These cookies turned out bland, the icing proportions were way off and there wasn't enough to cover the cookies. The amount of liquid to powder sugar was off too. Too much work with very little reward.
Feb 19, 2019
4.5 stars. I didn't have any, but my husband seemed to enjoy them. I made 1/2 a recipe which yielded approx. 40 cookies. However, the next time I will make the whole frosting recipe as there wasn't enough to cover all of the cookies. And the cookies it did cover the frosting was thin, more like a glaze. I would also use more orange zest in the cookies and the frosting too.
Dec 14, 2018
Delicious. I ALWAYS use real butter in baking!! Also, although this is a perfect recipe without them, I added white vanilla baking chips to the mix.
Dec 13, 2018
This was an Indiana State Fair grand prize winner years ago and was published in the paper. It's been a family favorite for years.
Dec 13, 2018
I cannot wait to try. What do you use for shortening?
Dec 13, 2018
This has been a tried and true recipe in our family for at least three generations. Love the mild orange flavor and the softness of the cookies. The recipe does make a lot of cookies and I omit the orange zest, mainly because I never have it in the pantry and the kids prefer it without.
May 26, 2018
Made them for my friends and they loved them. I followed the recipe exactly as said, wonderful. I loved the orange taste of the frosting and the cookie.
Jan 24, 2018
I halved the recipe, used real butter in both the cookie and icing, and didn't bother separating the egg, and the cookies turned out wonderfully. Thanks for sharing this tasty recipe!
Dec 13, 2017
No comment left