Gouda and Roasted Potato Bread
Total TimePrep: 45 min. + rising Bake: 40 min.
Makes1 loaf (16 slices)
- 1/2 pound Yukon Gold potatoes, chopped (about 3/4 cup)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 2-1/2 to 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup warm water (120° to 130°)
- 1/2 cup shredded smoked Gouda cheese
- Arrange 1 oven rack at lowest rack setting; place second rack in middle of oven. Preheat oven to 425°. Place potatoes in a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Drizzle with oil; sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt. Toss to coat. Roast until tender, 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In a large bowl, mix yeast, remaining 1 teaspoon salt and 2 cups flour. Add warm water; beat on medium speed until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky). Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Gently knead in roasted potatoes and cheese. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch down dough. Shape into a 7-in. round loaf. Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Cover with a kitchen towel; let rise in a warm place until dough expands to a 9-in. loaf, about 45 minutes.
- Place an oven-safe skillet on bottom oven rack. Meanwhile, in a teakettle, bring 2 cups water to a boil. Using a sharp knife, make a slash (1/4 inch deep) across top of loaf. Place bread on top rack. Pull bottom rack out by 6-8 in.; add boiling water to skillet. (Work quickly and carefully, pouring water away from you. Don't worry if some water is left in the kettle.) Carefully slide bottom rack back into place; quickly close door to trap steam in oven.
- Bake 10 minutes. Reduce oven setting to 375°. Bake until deep golden brown, 30-35 minutes longer. Remove loaf to a wire rack to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 101 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 4mg cholesterol, 253mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Jul 13, 2020
This bread is amazing! I also baked it for less than the recipe said.
Oct 31, 2019
I made the dough in the bread machine and added the potatoes and cheese at the end of the cycle and the dough was beautiful!! I used 2 1/4 tsp of yeast. 40 minutes in the oven was too long for me and it was over-baked. I would make the potatoes a bit bigger than the 1/4 " I did - the recipe said "chopped". I think the recipe is begging for rosemary.