Golden Harvest Potato Bake
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 5 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 5 large carrots, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon pepper
- Place the potatoes, carrots, garlic and tarragon in a Dutch oven; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- In a large bowl, mash the vegetables. Stir in 1/2 cup cheese, milk, eggs, vinegar, butter, salt, parsley and pepper until blended.
- Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 25-30 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 152 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 37mg cholesterol, 229mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Dec 19, 2015
I found this a nice partner with venison, love make ahead. I did not mash the carrots to hard, all other mashed. I did make a half batch...I would make this again and so would my guest. Lovely colour. Janet. FE
Apr 2, 2015
These were good, but I would have preferred just mashed sweet potatoes and yukons. This required more work for something I didn't find that impressive.
Sep 25, 2012
These are awesome - not your usual mashed potato dish, it has way more flavour with all the other veggies in it. I would increase the garlic a bit, just my personal preference. It's a good dish for entertaining cuz it's not BORING and would go well with any of your usual roasted meats.
Mar 26, 2012
We had friends over last night for dinner and I made this. Everyone loved them and there weren't any leftovers! The flavor is wonderful, I used three large garlic cloves and they give good flavor. The cider vinegar definitely adds to the flavor, but you can't tell it's vinegar, it's absolutely delicious. Our friends asked for the recipe and commented that they will increase the sweet potato ratio. I might try that too, but my Dad who doesn't like sweet potatoes said they are perfect as it :) Great recipe!
Nov 6, 2011
I really don't know what this big deal is about these potatoes, I made them and they are gross, had no flavor, and I could not tell you where I had gone wrong, because I followed the recipe to a T. My mom and I were really disappointed for we were really looking forward to these. Don't waste your time making these!
Nov 5, 2010
Scrumptious! I will be making this for both Thanksgiving and Christmas. The recipe makes a good amount for a crowd and I really love how it is not syrupy sweet. Delicious mix between mashed potatoes and sweet potatoes- If you must have the marshmallow topped traditional yams- this one most likely wont do- I am excited to have a great savory new side dish! I can always make the regular yams another night!
Feb 16, 2010
Loved this! Not your ordinary mashed 'taters. I might increase the ratios of carrots/potato/sweet potato next time, but delish as it is. Light & fluffy! Thank you
Jan 28, 2010
No comment left
Mar 21, 2009
I second L Bostwick's request.
Feb 10, 2009
Great recipe and not just for Thanksgiving! I reduced the recipe to 4 servings and it worked out great.