Glazed Poppy Seed Doughnuts
Light as a feather, these pretty glazed doughnuts are my husband's all-time favorites. They're something to celebrate any time of year at all!
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + rising Cook: 30 min.
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon plus 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2/3 cup warm whole milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/3 cup poppy seeds
- 1 cup warm mashed potatoes (prepared without added milk and butter)
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 7 to 8 cups all-purpose flour
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast and 1 teaspoon sugar in warm water. In another bowl, combine milk and poppy seeds. Let each bowl stand for 5 minutes. Add the potatoes, eggs, shortening, remaining ½ cup sugar, salt, cinnamon, poppy seed mixture and 3 cups flour to the yeast mixture. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into fourths. Roll out each portion to 1/2-in. thickness. Cut with a lightly floured 2-1/2-in. doughnut cutter. Place on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise for 30 minutes.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry doughnuts, a few at a time, for 1-1/2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
- In a saucepan, bring sugar, milk and butter to a boil. Cook and stir for 1 minute. Remove from heat; cool completely. Stir in confectioners' sugar, salt and vanilla until smooth. Drizzle over doughnuts.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.