A friend shared this authentic recipe with me years ago. I think you'll enjoy the extra spice from the addition of gingersnaps. It wonderfully captures the flavor of sauerbraten.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 2 hours
Makes8-10 serving (2-1/2 quarts)
- 1-1/2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 quarts water
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 12 gingersnap cookies, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bottle (14 ounces) ketchup
- In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, combine the first eight ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until meat is tender. Add ketchup; cover and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
Feb 13, 2012
No comment left
Jan 4, 2012
This is very close to the sauerbraten recipe that my German grandmother made. Ginger snaps really make the best gravy. Try this, you'll like it.