Gingered Molasses Cookies
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 10 min./batch
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1-1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- In a large bowl, cream the butter, shortening and 1 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg, molasses and orange zest. Combine the dry ingredients; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Roll into 1-1/4-in. balls, then in remaining sugar. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until edges are firm and surface cracks. Remove to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 104 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 14mg cholesterol, 143mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Nov 5, 2014
I wanted to try a different type of cookie, and chose this one. I did the recipe exactly as written and they turned out great. The spices were just right. A very delicious cookie.