Gingerbread with Lemon Sauce
From Panguitch, Utah, Lucile Proctor shares a very moist spiced cake that's topped with an old-fashioned-tasting lemon sauce. "The simple dessert is incredibly quick to make, so it's perfect for drop-in guests," she assures.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + cooling
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- LEMON SAUCE:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2 to 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- In a small bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, molasses and water. Combine the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, ginger and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Pour into a greased 9-in. microwave-safe pie plate. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 5-6 minutes, rotating a quarter turn every 2 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cover with waxed paper; let stand for 5 minutes. Remove waxed paper and invert onto a serving plate.
- In a 1-qt. microwave-safe bowl, combine the sugar, butter and water. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 1-2 minutes or until butter is melted and mixture begins to boil; stir.
- Add a small amount to egg; beat well. Return all to the bowl. Microwave on high for 45 seconds. Stir in lemon juice and zest. Cook 45 seconds longer or until slightly thickened. Serve with the gingerbread.