Gingerbread with Amber Cream
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups molasses
- 2 cups water
- 4-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons each baking powder, baking soda, salt, ground cinnamon and ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- AMBER CREAM:
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a bowl, cream shortening and sugar until fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine molasses and water. Combine dry ingredients; add to creamed mixture alternately with molasses mixture, beating well after each addition. Pour into two greased 13x9-in. baking pans.
- Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on wire racks.
- In a small bowl, combine cream, brown sugar and vanilla; chill for at least 1 hour. Whip until stiff peaks form. Serve with the gingerbread.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
May 17, 2020
This recipe is a favorite Taste of Home find! It has old-fashioned goodness with old-fashioned practicality. No fussiness in preparing it, so it is a good way to teach kids and new cooks to make homemade cake. The amber cream is a subtle twist on regular whipped cream or other toppings. This is a crowd-pleaser, as well. I make it for church night suppers often and it goes fast!