Gingerbread Waffles with Cream Cheese Topping
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 5 min./batch
Makes16 waffles (1-1/3 cups topping)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1-1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup cream cheese, softened
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Maple syrup
- In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. In a small bowl, beat brown sugar and egg yolks until blended; beat in the buttermilk, butter, molasses and vanilla. Stir into dry ingredients just until combined.
- In a small bowl with clean beaters, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold into batter. Bake in a preheated waffle iron according to manufacturer’s directions until golden brown.
- For topping, in a small bowl, beat butter and cream cheese until fluffy. Beat in the confectioners’ sugar, milk, vanilla and salt. Serve waffles with topping and maple syrup.
Nov 25, 2019
These are wonderful! They taste just like gingerbread, and the cream cheese topping is akin to frosting. Delicious. They were a smashing hit with my kids, too. Made plenty for freezing to enjoy at another date. My advice: Don't get in a hurry with this recipe; make sure to take your time, especially with the egg whites. Will definitely make again. YUM!