Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup water
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1-1/2 teaspoons light corn syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in molasses and water. Combine the flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, allspice and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with 2-1/2-in. cookie cutters dipped in flour. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake at 350° until edges are firm, 10-12 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- In a small bowl, combine frosting ingredients; beat until smooth. Transfer to a pastry bag fitted with a tip; pipe frosting onto cookies in desired designs.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 124 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 68mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 28, 2017
These turned out really good! When I went to store I had a choice of full flavored molasses or light flavored. I got full flavored. Everything turned out good, but I did add more sugar. Rolled out well and baked well. frosting worked out fine also.
Dec 29, 2015
Dec 27, 2015
Soft gingerbread cookie. Left my dough in the fridge overnight. Was so easy to work with and it rolled out perfect. Amazed that there were no eggs in the dough. They were the hit of the Christmas Eve party I attended.
Dec 20, 2012
This is my favorite gingerbread cookie recipe. I found it it a Taste of Home recipe box I purchased at the checkout counter at the grocery store. I couldn't find my book this year when I went to do my holiday baking and panicked until I found it again here on the website. We just love these!
Dec 28, 2010
These turned out great! They were not to hard and not too soft and just the right amount of spice for my family. :) Thanks!We made gingerbread men out of them and used a simpler frosting recipe, but it worked up great. Dough was -no- problem at all to work with after refrigerating (though we did run errands in between, so it was in the fridge for a couple of hours before rolling out).
Dec 12, 2008
I didn't like the dough at all, it was really sticky. I had to roll it out on a floured surface, scoop it up and reroll it on even more flour. So maybe try it dding more flour. I receive several compliments on these cookies from people who said they don't usually like gingerbread cookies!
Dec 13, 2007
What is that 'anonymous' reply? Can you really do that?Oh Administrator...have you posted the recipe for your gingerbread snowflakes?