Gingerbread Cookies with Lemon Frosting
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
Makesabout 4 dozen
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and molasses. In another bowl, whisk the next eight ingredients; gradually beat into creamed mixture.
- Shape into 1-in. balls; place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake until tops are cracked, 8-10 minutes. Cool 2 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, beat cream cheese until fluffy. Add remaining ingredients; beat until smooth. Frost cookies. Refrigerate in an airtight container.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie with 1 teaspoon frosting: 100 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 105mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Apr 19, 2019
The frosting tasted fine but, was very runny even after adding more sugar.
Dec 10, 2018
with a few alterations these were phenomenal. for our convenience we used 1/2 teaspoon Nutmeg in place of 1 teaspoon cardamom, and light brown sugar instead of dark brown sugar and they were still delicious. we more than doubled the lemon juice in the icing and used 1/2 cup less confectioner's sugar and recommend doing so. the recipe makes twice as much icing as you need, so maybe just make a double batch of cookies!