Ginger Pear Muffins
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cups chopped peeled fresh pears
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a small bowl, beat brown sugar, oil and egg until well blended. Beat in buttermilk. In a small bowl, combine flour, baking soda, ginger, salt and cinnamon; gradually beat into buttermilk mixture until blended. Stir in pears. Fill 18 paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full.
- For topping, combine brown sugar and ginger. Stir in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over batter.
- Bake 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 muffin: 174 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 13mg cholesterol, 162mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat.
Jul 14, 2020
very moist, i added fresh ginger-grated and changed from pears to peaches.
Jan 20, 2018
As a disclaimer, I made this by substituting the wheat flour with gluten free flour (which is normally what I do). The muffins were tough & dry.
Jan 1, 2018
Love this recipe using up my pears..I add chopped walnuts to the topping because my husband loves nuts.
Dec 27, 2015
Excellent recipe to use with your ripe pears. Absolutely delicious! I doubled the cinnamon and added 1/4 cup of diced candied ginger to the topping. Will definitely make again.
Oct 31, 2015
Texture is gummy. Favor is ok... probably won't make again.
Oct 18, 2015
Had 4H group make them and were enjoyed. I have made 2 batches for my family. I also added oatmeal to the topping and cut out the butter. For the family muffins, I grated fresh ginger root I had frozen in the freezer and used it instead for ground ginger. I liked the ginger root better as the flavor was more intense. Definitely a keeper. Froze some for company.
Dec 22, 2014
We bought pears from our nephew who was selling fruit for FFA--they were delicious, but the all ripened at once! This was a wonderful way to make use of the over--ripe pears! I did as others had suggested and added some rolled oats to the crumble topping, but since my pears were so ripe and my batter seemed a little more "liquidy" than I would like, I also stirred some rolled oats into the batter which turned out to be a great decision!
Nov 25, 2014
Oct 5, 2014
This is a fantastic recipe. I took them to school, and the teachers thought I was an excellent baker. Ha! I just told them I have good recipes. Thanks, Taste of Home!
Oct 4, 2014
These were a hit at the Youth conference. all gone. made them just as the recipe said.