Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch
Makesabout 2-1/2 dozen
- 3/4 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and 1 cup sugar until light and fluffy, 5-7 minutes. Beat in egg and molasses. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, salt and cloves; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Refrigerate, covered, until firm, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Place remaining 1/2 cup sugar in a shallow bowl. Shape dough into 1-in. balls; roll in sugar. Place 2 in. apart on parchment-lined baking sheets.
- Bake until set and tops are cracked, 10-12 minutes. Cool on pans 2 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 118 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 6mg cholesterol, 127mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
May 5, 2020
These are delicious! I stuck pretty close to the published recipe. But . . . I used butter instead of butter flavored shortening and used turbinado sugar for the last 1/2 cup instead of granulated. They turned out a little chewy, a little crunchy, sweet with a zing of ginger. This is definitely going to be a regular treat in my home!