Ginger Chicken with Green Onions
Ginger, scallions and cayenne come together in a pleasant sauce for chicken. “Every time I serve this to company, I receive compliments,” shares Deborah Anderson of Willow Street, Pennsylvania.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 3/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 medium lemon, cut into thin slices
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. In a large nonstick skillet, cook chicken in 2 teaspoons oil until lightly browned, 3 minutes on each side. Remove and keep warm.
- In the same skillet, cook the garlic, ginger and lemon zest in remaining oil for 1 minute. Stir in 1/2 cup broth, sugar and cayenne. Bring to a boil. Return chicken to the pan; top with lemon slices. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until chicken juices run clear, 7-9 minutes. Remove chicken and keep warm.
- Combine cornstarch and remaining broth until smooth; gradually stir into pan juices. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, 2 minutes. Stir in green onions; cook 1-2 minutes longer. Serve over chicken.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 175 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 322mg sodium, 5g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 24g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.