Ghoulish Caramel Apples
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 4 large tart apples
- 4 Popsicle sticks
- 4 orange candy slices
- 1 piece black rope licorice
- 1 piece red rope licorice
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 3 drops green food coloring, optional
- 1 package (14 ounces) caramels
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 8 Skittles bite-size candies
- 1 tube decorating icing in color of your choice, optional
- 4 gumdrops
- Line a baking sheet with waxed paper and grease the paper; set aside. Wash and thoroughly dry apples. Insert a Popsicle stick into the top of each; set aside.
- For eyes, cut candy slices horizontally in half. For eyebrows, cut black licorice in half lengthwise; cut each half into four 2-in. pieces. For mouths, cut red licorice into sixteen 1/4-in. pieces. For hair, tint coconut with food coloring if desired.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, heat caramels and cream, uncovered, on high for 1 minute; stir. Microwave 30-45 seconds longer or until melted; stir until smooth.
- Dip one apple into caramel mixture, turning to coat. Place on prepared pan. Immediately decorate face with candy slices and licorice pieces. For eyes, press Skittles into caramel below candy slices or attach to candy slices with decorating icing if desired. For nose, press a gumdrop into caramel. Sprinkle coconut on top for hair. Repeat with remaining apples, rewarming caramel mixture if needed.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Jun 3, 2012
No comment left
Sep 22, 2011
No comment left
Oct 19, 2009
I am going to try this recipe.
Nov 14, 2008
I loved this recipe. My husband (who hates caramel apples) even loved them. I sustituted cherry licorice in place of black licorice
Oct 17, 2008
These were horrible,all decorations ran off.Worked all day on them,the carmel just didn't do the job.WE tried to make 75 carmel apples and they looked terrible.What a dissapointment.And very messie.