German Chocolate Ice Cream
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling Process: 20 min./batch + freezing
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups milk
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 quart half-and-half cream
- 8 ounces German sweet chocolate, melted
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, flour, cinnamon and salt. Gradually add milk and eggs; stir until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-low heat until mixture is thick enough to coat a metal spoon and reaches 160°, about 15 minutes. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- Fill ice cream freezer cylinder two-thirds full; freeze according to manufacturer's instructions. Refrigerate remaining mixture until ready to freeze. Remove ice cream from the freezer 10 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 162 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 39mg cholesterol, 62mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Aug 15, 2020
The recipe as it is written produces a very “icy” ice cream. When I make it, I replace the milk and half-and-half with 3c. whole milk and 5c. heavy cream, respectively. This improves the texture considerably. Also, I mix in the coconut and nuts during the last 5 minutes in the ice cream maker. That way they don’t all sink to the bottom.
Jan 24, 2012
This is very good for a nice dinner for my family and i would very much recomment to make this again