Garlicky Cheddar Cheese Bisque
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 40 min.
Makes6 servings (1-1/2 quarts)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium leek (white portion only), sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped carrot
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped peeled parsnip
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 2/3 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 2 cups shredded sharp white cheddar cheese
- Crushed baked pita chips
- Minced fresh parsley
- In a large saucepan, heat butter and oil over medium heat. Add vegetables, salt and pepper; cook and stir 7-8 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Add garlic; cook 1-2 minutes longer.
- Stir in broth and wine; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 15-20 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Remove from heat; cool slightly. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix cornstarch and water until smooth.
- Process soup in batches in a food processor until smooth. Return all to pan. Stir in evaporated milk and cornstarch mixture; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until thickened and bubbly, stirring frequently. Add cheese; cook and stir until cheese is blended. Top servings with crushed pita chips and parsley.
Nutrition Facts1 cup (calculated without toppings) : 320 calories, 19g fat (12g saturated fat), 68mg cholesterol, 1307mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 1g fiber), 13g protein.
Jan 24, 2017
My family enjoyed it and said they'd like to have it again. I only had onions, carrots and potatoes, but they worked fine. I added a teaspoon of dried thyme too. I don't keep evaporated milk on hand, so I stir powdered milk into skim milk to make the equivalent. And mine didn't seem to need thickening, so I omitted the cornstarch mixture. Really good soup for a cold day!
Feb 14, 2016
Loved this soup, as did all of our guests! It's surprisingly flavourful!!! Well done!
Jan 26, 2016
Silky smooth, tasty soup. Substituted chopped sweet onion for the leek, small potato for the parsnip and 2% milk for evaporated milk as that's what I had on hand.
Dec 29, 2014
This is one of the best soups I have ever had and I am not a big soup fan. Light but full body taste. Our entire family rated it a 10 ! Had it Christmas dinner warmup and will be making it for New Years as well.
Mar 2, 2014
Fixed as is, we thought it was very good! I wouldn't change a thing. You can really taste the root vegetables and the garlic/cheese sets it off nicely. Goes very well with a freshly baked loaf of bread (hint: can be found in the frozen section with the yeast rolls)- wouldn't really say that's fresh bread, but hey, it's better than those already baked loafs sold in common grocery stores.