Garlic Chicken & Broccoli
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 3 hours
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-in. pieces
- 4 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 4 medium carrots, julienned
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1/3 cup water
- Hot cooked rice
- In a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker, combine chicken, broccoli, carrots, water chestnuts and garlic. In a large bowl, mix next 7 ingredients; pour over chicken mixture. Cook, covered, on low until chicken and broccoli are tender, 3-4 hours.
- Remove chicken and vegetables; keep warm. Strain cooking juices into a small saucepan; skim fat. Bring juices to a boil. In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into cooking juices. Return to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, 1-2 minutes. Serve with chicken, vegetables and hot cooked rice.
- Freeze option: Place chicken and vegetables in freezer containers; top with sauce. Cool and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Microwave, covered, on high in a microwave-safe dish until heated through, stirring gently and adding a little broth or water if necessary.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 241 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 798mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 3g fiber), 26g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Jun 12, 2020
I made this recipe for dinner tonight and we loved it. The garlic made this recipe good. I gave it 2 hrs and 45 minutes and it was perfect. The chicken was tender and the vegetables were crunchy-not mushy. I ended up with plenty of sauce that goes well with rice. I will be making this recipe again.
Apr 8, 2020
Family thought this was bland tasting.
Oct 22, 2019
This was very good. If you use fresh broccoli and carrots, they do not get mushy if you follow the 3-4 hour instruction. Both had good crunch.
Aug 13, 2019
This recipe was not that great.First mistake is cooking broccoli in with every thing else was not a good idea,I was mush which it would be if you had to cook it for 3 to 4 hours. I should have known better than to cook it for so long. Broccoli should be (somewhat) on the crunchy side Will not make it again.