This hearty chili with sausage, beef, beans and barley is perfect for the halftime food rush. People actually cheer when they see me coming with my slow cooker! —Barbara Lento, Houston, Pennsylvania
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 6 hours
Makes12 servings (4 quarts)
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 pound boneless beef chuck steak, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 pound bulk spicy pork sausage, cooked and drained
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 cup hot chunky salsa
- 1/3 cup medium pearl barley
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons jarred roasted minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 cups beef stock
- 2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend
- Corn chips
- Place all ingredients except cheese and chips in a 6-qt. slow cooker. Cook, covered, on low 6-8 hours or until beef is tender.
- Stir in cheese until melted. Serve with chips.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled chili in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally.