Fully Loaded Chili
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 40 min.
Makes8 servings (2 quarts)
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1-3/4 cups water
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoons Louisiana-style hot sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/2 cup crushed baked tortilla chip scoops
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- In a Dutch oven over medium heat, cook the beef, onion and pepper until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Stir in the water, tomato sauce, beans, cocoa, hot sauce and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Garnish each serving with 1 tablespoon each of sour cream, crushed chips and cheese.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 351 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 38mg cholesterol, 762mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 11g fiber), 26g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 2 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Oct 31, 2019
An easy, quick recipe to bring together with the canned beans. I omitted the green pepper and hot sauce, but overall, the flavor was pleasing.
Dec 22, 2018
This was very thick. I added more liquid, but it could have used even more. With the toppings, it tasted like taco soup more than chili. However, I prefer taco soup to this chili.
Jul 6, 2016
Great recipe. I use it for a base and tweak it and add ingredients. It's great as is thought
Jan 7, 2016
This was good. Thank you for the recipe!
Dec 29, 2015
This was amazing. I doubled it and brought it in a big crock pot to a Christmas Cookie exchange luncheon at work. People really liked it! I love all the different kinds of beans!!
Sep 28, 2015
My "go to" chili recipe. Light on calories but very filling! Sooooo good and so simple to make. I didn't add any salt because of the tomato sauce (and I'm one who loves salt but I don't think this recipe needs it).
Oct 7, 2013
Jun 22, 2013
No comment left
Mar 8, 2013
No comment left
May 27, 2012
The first time I made this it tasted bland, but I jazzed it up with extra chili seasoning, cayenne, cumin, garlic, and oregano and let it simmer in the crock pot a few hours and it was a winner!