This German recipe—passed down by my grandma—is one of the first desserts I made when I was young. I remember patting the crust into the pan many times. Now I work at a bakery but still make it often, especially in the summer when fresh fruit is plentiful. —Connie Meiselwitz, Kiel, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 50 min.
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon whole milk
- 4 to 6 cups fresh fruit (quartered apples, peaches, plums, etc.)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- CRUMB TOPPING:
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- In a bowl, combine flour, salt and sugar; cut in butter until mixture resembles cornmeal. Mix egg and milk; add to flour mixture.
- Press into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Arrange fruit on crust. Combine remaining filling ingredients; pour over fruit. For topping, combine ingredients until crumbly; sprinkle over filling. Bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until fruit is tender.