Fruit and Nut Bulgur Pilaf
My mother made this nutritious side dish all the time when we were growing up. I enhanced the recipe with a bigger variety of dried fruit to find an interesting balance between the sweet and salty flavors. —Ninette Holbrook, Orlando, FL
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 cups bulgur
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup dried apricots, chopped
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat; cook and stir bulgur until toasted. Stir in salt, pepper and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until tender and liquid is almost absorbed, 10-12 minutes.
- Stir in 1/3 cup each of the almonds, raisins, cranberries and apricots. Serve with the remaining almonds and fruit.