Frosted Peanut Butter Bars
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2/3 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon shortening
- In a large bowl, cream the shortening, peanut butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition.
- Transfer to a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 16-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- For frosting, in a small bowl, cream the peanut butter, shortening and confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in enough milk to achieve spreading consistency. Frost bars.
- In a microwave, melt chocolate chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Drizzle over frosting. Store in the refrigerator.
Jan 31, 2014
Very good! I took pcronk's advice and sprinkled mini chocolate chips on top instead of the topping. Also used butter-flavored shortening.
Mar 29, 2013
Too much shortening. I thought it had trans fat in it!
Feb 18, 2013
This is one of my favorite recipes! It was in the TOH cookbook received as a wedding gift. SO rich but SO good! Love the dense brownie-like texture. I usually don't put the drizzle on.
Feb 3, 2013
Made this recipe many times for the residents at the Assisted Living Facility I worked at.... they were a hit with young and old alike!!!!
Jan 28, 2013
No comment left
Sep 30, 2012
No comment left
May 6, 2012
Jan 14, 2012
Reminds me of the bars that we had in the school cafeteria. Yummy!! Even my hubby liked them and he is picky. Will definitely make for a family get together.
Dec 7, 2011
I made these for a Christmas party this past Saturday. I cut the bars into mini squares and they not only made a great presentation but they were delicious!
Apr 26, 2011
Totally delicious, and I also would make them again using butter instead of margarine. That being said, these bars have half! the calories of the "Make-over Peanut Butter Bars" that were supposed to be better for you. That makes these extra good in my opinion!