Frosted Maple Cookies
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon maple flavoring
- 2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons maple flavoring
- 2 to 3 tablespoons hot water
- In a large bowl, cream together shortening and brown sugar until light and fluffy, 5-7 minutes. Add 1 egg at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in sour cream and maple flavoring. Combine the flour, salt and baking soda; add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in nuts. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto greased baking sheets. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool completely on wire racks.
- For frosting, in a small saucepan, heat butter over low heat until golden brown. Remove from the heat; blend in confectioners' sugar, maple flavoring and enough water to achieve spreading consistency. Frost cookies.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 294 calories, 15g fat (6g saturated fat), 41mg cholesterol, 184mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (24g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Sep 4, 2019
These tasted great! It produces a delicious cake-like cookie that is soft and delicious. I used walnuts and they tasted wonderful with the maple extract. I struggled a bit to make the frosting. When I went to mix all the ingredients together, the butter kept separating out of the mixture. Luckily, what remained still tasted good. I might make a maple glaze to put on the top of them next time instead of the frosting.
Dec 7, 2017
#1 on the Christmas cookie list! Everyone's favorite!
Nov 28, 2017
These cookies are amazing and dangerous! If you love maple, you will love these cookies!Christine.....maple flavoring is not the same thing as maple syrup. Maple flavoring, at least at my store, is sold with the vanilla extracts and other liquid flavorings. It's very concentrated.
Nov 28, 2017
Like this cookie. It does have a strong maple flavor. I made a change in the frosting---I used only 1 tsp. of maple flavoring and used maple syrup for most of the water. At the end of the frosting, I had to add water to make the frosting more spreadable. If you enjoy maple, you should like this cookie.
Sep 20, 2017
is maple flavoring the same thing as maple syrup? help please!
Nov 22, 2014
woonderful, soft, mapley cookie!! only change i did was adding pute maple syrup to both the cookie and the frosting.
Jul 23, 2014
Dec 9, 2012
When I received the Christmas cookie issue two years ago my daughters tried this cookie and it was fabulous, everyone who tried them loved them.