Frosted Fudge Brownies
Total TimePrep: 10 min. + cooling Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 1 cup plus 3 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 3/4 cup baking cocoa
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 cups sugar
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2-2/3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup 2% milk
- In a saucepan, melt butter. Remove from the heat. Stir in cocoa; cool. In a large bowl, beat eggs and sugar until blended. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to egg mixture. Stir in vanilla and the cooled chocolate mixture until well blended.
- Spread into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 25-28 minutes (do not overbake). Cool on a wire rack.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, cream butter and confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy, 5-7 minutes. Beat in cocoa and vanilla. Add enough milk for the frosting to achieve spreading consistency. Spread over brownies. Cut into bars.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 brownie: 277 calories, 13g fat (8g saturated fat), 68mg cholesterol, 248mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (29g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Aug 3, 2020
My normal "go to" brownies are really good and do not have frosting, so I wasn't sure if I wanted to try these or not, as I thought they might be too much chocolate. I took them to work and they were a hit with my co-workers, and I will be making these again. Nice to have "another" good brownie recipe.
Jul 12, 2020
gotta have the frosting. sooooo good.
Jul 5, 2020
Gramma Amy You know those little plastic forks and knives we use for picnics? If you use one of those plastic knives to cut brownies, it works like a charm! I work in a school cafeteria, and that's what we use to cut huge pans of brownies everyday. Sounds crazy, but it works!
Jun 18, 2020
Awesome, gooey brownies and great frosting. We made with 1 for 1 gluten free flour, very easy substitution! Be sure not to over mix batter, and keep the frosting thicker than you initially think it should be!
Jun 9, 2020
The yummy frosting recipe is Hershey’s ONE-BOWL BUTTERCREAM FROSTING, which I have used for years on my cakes and cupcakes. Unfortunately, the recipe doesn’t give proper credit to Hershey.
Apr 16, 2020
This is the absolute best home made brownie recipe I have ever tried. I have tried many recipes but this is a keeper. I have stopped looking for the perfect brownie recipe. I did frost the brownies but I have to say this recipe does not even need the frosting.
Apr 11, 2020
I used a slightly smaller pan and had to bake a little longer. Really good
Apr 4, 2020
Made these on a whim and they were absolutely delicious! Right on the line between fudgey and cakey. The frosting pushes them over into a rich and decadent treat!
Feb 24, 2020
Tried these today in place of my regular brownie recipe from Taste of Home many years ago. These have less sugar and less flour than my previous recipe, so wanted to try it. The flavor is fudgy and good. The texture is a little less dense, which I liked, however they were difficult to cut into bars without sticking and tearing as I drew the knife out. They were a little warm yet, so I will try again, and adjust my rating if they are better to cut after fully cooled. As one reviewer commented that the frosting was too much, based on my previous recipe, I would agree with that, and chose to make half of it. For our taste, that was just the right amount to add a sweet touch without being thick. I will definitely make these again.
Jan 24, 2020
I have made this recipe several times, and they are always delicious! This is truly one of the best brownie recipes I have ever made!