Friendship Coffee Cakes
Total TimePrep: 35 min. + rising Bake: 15 min./batch + cooling
Makes8 coffee cakes (6 slices each)
- 14-1/2 to 15 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup active dry yeast
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon orange extract
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips, melted and cooled
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon orange extract
- 6 tablespoons 2% milk
- In a very large bowl, combine 8 cups flour, sugar, yeast and salt. In a large saucepan, heat water, orange juice and oil to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat just until moistened. Add the eggs, orange zest and extract; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours.
- In a small bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Add chocolate, 1 egg and vanilla. Beat until blended; set aside.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into eight portions. Roll each portion into a 12x7-in. rectangle. Spread about 1/4 cup filling to within 1/2 in. of edges.
- Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seams and tuck edges under. Place seam side down on greased baking sheets; pinch ends together to form a ring.
- With kitchen scissors, cut from outside edge two-thirds of the way toward center of ring at 2-in. intervals. Separate strips slightly and twist so filling shows. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes. Beat remaining eggs; brush over coffee cakes.
- Bake at 375° for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Combine icing ingredients until smooth; drizzle over coffee cakes.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 289 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 36mg cholesterol, 223mg sodium, 53g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Jul 12, 2012
I wish I could put a huge banner on this recipe to flag people to it! This bread recipe is so delicious with the orange flavored bread and chocolate cream cheese filling. It is definately a little putsy, but well worth the effort. I first made this for a treat after church. They were gobbled up. The cakes are so pretty and make wonderful gifts. I enjoyed them so much a had to make another batch the next day. I only made 4 at a time. These cakes also freeze well. Put the glaze on after it comes out of the freezer. You really need to try these special breads!
Nov 10, 2008
No comment left