Here's an appetizer that will heat up any gathering. Family and friends often request that I make these jalapenos. —DeLea Lonadier, Montgomery, Louisiana
Total TimePrep: 10 min. + chilling Cook: 20 min.
- 2 jars (12 ounces each) whole jalapeno peppers, drained
- 1 jar (5 ounces) olive-pimiento cheese spread
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour, divided
- 6 tablespoons cornmeal, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Cut off stems and remove seeds from peppers. Stuff with cheese spread. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- In a shallow bowl, combine 1/4 cup flour, 2 tablespoons cornmeal, salt, pepper and buttermilk until smooth; set aside. In another shallow bowl, combine remaining flour and cornmeal. Dip stuffed peppers into buttermilk batter, then dredge in flour mixture.
- In a deep cast-iron or electric skillet, heat oil to 375°. Fry peppers, a few at a time, until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.