Fresh Thai Asparagus, Kale and Garlicky Mushrooms
Hit the local farmers market and stock up! This quick, simple side dish is a perfect complement to any meal. The fish sauce gives it a wonderful depth of flavor without much effort. —Julie Peterson, Crofton, Maryland
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 10 ounces medium fresh mushrooms, quartered (about 4 cups)
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-1/2-inch pieces
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups chopped fresh kale
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce or soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- Toasted sesame seeds, optional
- In a large cast-iron or other heavy skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms; cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, 4-6 minutes. Add asparagus, garlic, oregano, salt and pepper; cook and stir until crisp-tender, 2-4 minutes. Stir in kale; cook and stir until wilted, 2-4 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in fish sauce and vinegar. If desired, top with sesame seeds.
Test Kitchen tips