Fresh Cream of Tomato Soup
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 45 min.
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 3 pounds fresh tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups chicken broth, divided
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, saute onion in butter until tender. Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar, salt, basil, thyme and pepper; simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Combine flour and 3/4 cup broth; form a smooth paste; gradually stir into tomato mixture with remaining broth.
- Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes, or until thickened. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until tomatoes are tender. Remove from the heat. Stir in cream; serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 305 calories, 23g fat (14g saturated fat), 75mg cholesterol, 1131mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 4g fiber), 5g protein.
Oct 8, 2016
This is the best tomato soup I have ever made or eaten. It is delicious! If you wanted to make it with canned tomatoes, 3 lbs fresh = 4 cups
Sep 2, 2015
I did not care for the thyme flavor(-personal preference) otherwise it was excellent
Feb 23, 2015
Meh. It tastes different from the canned stuff, but not necessarily "better." Good way to use tomatoes, though.
Feb 17, 2015
I was looking for a tomato soup using tomatoes from my garden and heavy cream. I had already made spaghetti sauce from the tomatoes I have frozen from my garden, and I realized that the first 9 ingredients were my spaghetti sauce. So I used 4 cups of my sauce thawed, brought it to a boil and added flour/broth mixture to thicken it. I did add about 1/2 cup more broth after the thickener. I followed the recipe after that, and my husband told me it was a keeper. We paired it with a grilled cheese sandwich, and it was great on this cold and snowy winter day.
Jan 24, 2014
This soup was nice and creamy. I liked that the tomatoes weren't blended but still chunky. It was very simple to make, the hardest part was peeling the tomatoes. I paired this with the Italian grilled cheese sandwich.
Sep 3, 2013
Best tomato soup we've had. I pureed the soup with immersion blender and it was wonderful!
Dec 8, 2012
No comment left
Nov 3, 2012
I made this according to the directions except I added garlic with the onion when I sauted in the butter. It was excellent! I froze it in containers (with the cream added) and it was as good as when I made it fresh.
Jul 20, 2012
This soup is great!! I have made it per the recipe (though I use half and half instead of heavy cream) several times, but just bought a food mill yesterday - so skipped the up front peeling and seeding the tomatoes - just coarsley chopped them - cooked - then put through the mill - quick and easy!! When I am planning to freeze batches of this, I just prep through the tomato cooking phase, then bag and freeze - to save on freezer space. Then, in the middle of winter when I want a wonderful soup, I thaw it, and finish the prep where I left off. Since the time consuming part is already done, this makes for a quick meal and is delicious. So much better than canned or boxed soups!
Sep 20, 2011
No comment left