Fresh Blueberry Pie
As a sweet finale to Father's meal, surprise him with this dessert-it'll remind him of the pies his mother used to make. "He doesn't have to know how simple it is!" says Nellie VanSickle of Silver Bay, New York.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling
- 4 cups fresh blueberries, divided
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Dash salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked
- Ice cream or whipped cream
- Lemon zest strips, optional
- In a large saucepan, combine 1 cup blueberries, water and butter; simmer for 4 minutes. Combine the sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon and salt; add to saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Stir in lemon juice and remaining blueberries.
- Pour into pie shell. Chill for 2-3 hours. Serve with ice cream or whipped cream. Garnish with strips of lemon zest if desired. Refrigerate leftovers.