Freezer Cucumber Pickles
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + freezing
- 4 pounds pickling cucumbers, sliced
- 8 cups thinly sliced onions (about 8 medium)
- 1/4 cup salt
- 3/4 cup water
- 4 cups sugar
- 2 cups cider vinegar
- Rinse ten 2-cup plastic containers and lids with boiling water. Dry thoroughly. Divide cucumbers, onions, salt and water between two large bowls. Let stand at room temperature 2 hours. Do not drain.
- Add 2 cups sugar and 1 cup vinegar to each bowl; stir until sugar is dissolved. Transfer to prepared containers, leaving 1-in. headspace for expansion; freeze up to 6 months.
- Thaw pickles in refrigerator 8 hours before using. Serve within 2 weeks after thawing.
Jul 12, 2018
Found it to be even better when I used Rice vinegar.
Apr 11, 2018
Can you replace the sugar in this recipie with Splenda or Truvia?
Dec 19, 2017
Have made these diff times. I use white vinegar, then at times add dill, pickling spice, or garlic.I freeze in sandwich zip bags. I stand them up in a pan to freeze just in case of a leak!
Aug 20, 2017
These we crunchy and tasted good but looked like they were wilted. I rated it 4 stars because the way the directions read it caused the containers to taste inconsistent . Some were too sweet. I tried another batch but disolved the sugar in the vinegar by slowly heating it in a saucepan . I let it cool while the cucumbers sat in the salt. My containers came out consistent this time.
Jul 23, 2017
I have made them for a couple of years and they are delicious. The only thing is I added 1/2 tsp Cream of Tarter to maintain the color
Jul 20, 2017
Are these like bread and butter pickles? Just crunchier?
Jul 17, 2017
No comment left
Jul 6, 2017
No comment left
Aug 14, 2016
How long do these pickles have to stay in freezer before they are ready to eat?
Jul 21, 2016
Has anyone tried this by omitting the sugar and adding dill?