Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) cut green beans, drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) cut wax beans, drained
- 1/4 cup julienned green pepper
- 8 green onions, sliced
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a large salad bowl, combine all of the beans, green pepper and onions. In a small bowl, whisk the remaining ingredients until sugar is dissolved. Pour over bean mixture; toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate overnight, stirring several times. Serve with a slotted spoon.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 172 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 403mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 4g fiber), 5g protein.
Jul 4, 2020
A classic bean salad. I add an extra can of wax beans because I love them. Just the right balance of sweet and tangy, and very simple to put together.
Sep 8, 2019
Added black beans, subtituted brown sugar for white sugar...awesome.
Jun 25, 2018
The only ingredient I did not use was the green pepper, because I am allergic. Otherwise, I followed the recipe as written and it was amazingly good! Just as I remember my mother and grandmother making it when I was young. I put this in my favorites list and we'll make it again!
Mar 9, 2017
Made a while back. Will be making again really good on a hot day.
May 6, 2015
Good ingredients with the promise of a good salad. I can't understand why people insist in adding sugar to salads. Try your favorite but forget the sugar. May surprise you.
Jul 21, 2012
I found this in my church potluck cookbook from taste of home. I made it to take to a church supper and everyone loved it. A definite keeper.
Jun 3, 2012
rave reviews at a pot-luck picnic. diffinitely will make this again. Thanks.
Jun 30, 2010
I've made this several times. Great for picnics.
Jan 27, 2010
No comment left
Apr 13, 2009
Yep- looks almost like the one I make, only I use thin red onion slices...