Total TimePrep: 35 min. Cook: 4-1/4 hours
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef or chicken broth
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 medium green peppers, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 pound smoked sausage, halved and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1/2 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Hot cooked rice
- In a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the tomatoes, broth and tomato paste. Stir in the celery, green peppers, onion, garlic, seasonings and pepper sauce. Stir in chicken and sausage.
- Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours or until chicken is no longer pink. Stir in shrimp. Cover and cook 15-30 minutes longer or until shrimp turn pink. Serve with rice.
Freeze option: Place individual portions of cooled stew in freezer containers and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if necessary.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 230 calories, 13g fat (5g saturated fat), 75mg cholesterol, 1016mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 20g protein.
Jun 20, 2020
I made this tonight. I didn't have any hot sauce, so omitted that. Otherwise I followed the recipe. My hubby said "that's a keeper!" Don't need the hot sauce for my family. I'll be making it again.
May 25, 2020
I used my home grown tomatoes, and andouille sausage. This turned out Sooooo good!
Mar 26, 2020
To much of a green pepper taste for me. My 15 year old said it was ok. My hubby seemed to like it.
Feb 25, 2020
Love the flavor! I didn't have the time to cook in the slow cooker. It was quick and easy in my Ninja Foodie using the pressure cooker feature.
Feb 23, 2020
Could I use tomato sauce instead of diced tomatoes? Cant's wait to try the recipe.
Feb 12, 2020
This was fantastic! The broth is SO flavorful. A little bit spicy for the kids, but that's easy to dial back. I will definitely make this again
Jan 17, 2020
VERY good. I left out the shrimp though, allergies here.
Oct 9, 2019
This was tasty, but the next time I make this, I will not use so much chicken and use more shrimp. I'll also cut down on the hot sauce. Everyone thought it was good and the 5 of us voted to do it again.
Jul 26, 2019
Just didn't care for.
Jun 20, 2019
We have been using this recipe since it came out in 2008. It is one of my family’s favorite. We use it every winter and I have passed this recipe around dozens of times. The only thing I change is doubling the shrimp and chicken because my boys never feel like they get enough.