Football Cake Pops
My son loves football! For his eighth birthday, I made cake pops with a rich chocolate cake center and a yummy peanut butter coating. These are sure to be winners at parties, bake sales and sports-watching events. —Jenny Dubinsky, Inwood, WV
Total TimePrep: 2 hours + chilling. Bake: 35 min. + cooling
Makes4 dozen cake pops
- 1 chocolate cake mix (regular size)
- 1 cup cream cheese frosting
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 cup peanut butter chips
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- 48 4-inch lollipop sticks
- 1/4 cup white decorating icing
- Bake cake according to package directions; cool completely. In a large bowl, break cake into fine crumbles. Add frosting and stir until fully incorporated, adding more frosting if needed, until mixture maintains its shape when squeezed together with palm of hand. Shape 1 tablespoon into a ball, then mold into shape of a football. Repeat with remaining mixture. Place on parchment-lined baking sheets; refrigerate until firm, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a microwave-safe bowl, place chocolate chips, peanut butter chips and shortening. Microwave 30 seconds and stir; repeat, stirring every 30 seconds until melted and smooth, adding more shortening if needed. Do not overheat.
- Dip a lollipop stick into chocolate mixture; insert halfway through a football shape, taking care not to break through the other side. Return to baking sheet until set; repeat to form remaining cake pops. Coat each cake pop with the chocolate mixture, allowing excess to drip off, and reheating and stirring chocolate mixture as needed. Return cake pops to baking sheets, ensuring they do not touch one another. Allow chocolate coating to set until firm to the touch. To decorate, use icing to draw laces onto cake pops.
Nutrition Facts1 cake pop: 132 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 12mg cholesterol, 96mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.