- 5 large eggs, room temperature,separated
- 12 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 3/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 350°. In top of a double boiler or a metal bowl over barely simmering water, melt chocolate and butter; stir until smooth. Remove from heat; cool slightly.
- In another large bowl, beat egg yolks until thick and lemon-colored. Beat in chocolate mixture. With clean beaters, beat egg whites and cream of tartar on medium speed until foamy.
- Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high after each addition until sugar is dissolved. Continue beating until stiff glossy peaks form. Fold a fourth of the egg whites into chocolate mixture, then fold in remaining whites.
- Transfer to a greased 9-in. springform pan. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out with moist crumbs, 40-45 minutes (do not overbake). Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Loosen sides from pan with a knife. Remove rim from pan. If desired, dust with confectioners' sugar.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 326 calories, 24g fat (14g saturated fat), 108mg cholesterol, 121mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Aug 22, 2020
Very good and also easy to make. I didn't have a springform pan, so I lined a 9-inch pie plate with parchment paper and that worked out just fine.
Apr 15, 2020
For my first time, it was really great. Only issue is it got done much faster then time suggested. Luckily I’d read reviews and kept a close eye on it. I’ll make again though!
Jan 30, 2020
Overall this was a great recipe! I did bake in a water bath, because I’ve always done Tortes, and cheesecakes that way. We really enjoyed this!
Feb 26, 2018
The recipe said to bake 40-45 mins. and not to overbake. I baked it for only 35 minutes, but it came out overcooked. Needed to be a little sweeter, too.
Feb 2, 2018
I enjoyed this cake. It was most and had excellent flavor. My husband didn't care for it as much as I did, because he likes a lighter-textured cake. However, I thought it was delicious. I think it's best served with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream to help balance out the very chocolate-y flavor of the cake.
Feb 17, 2016
This recipe went together easier than I first thought it would, and came out perfect! Great chocolate flavor plus it was very moist and not too heavy. I dusted with powdered sugar and put a dollop of real whipped cream on top- loved it!
Dec 27, 2015
I made this dairy free by substituting coconut oil for the butter and it was fabulous.
Aug 1, 2015
Loved this cake! I was hesitant to try it as I've never made a cake without flour before. Came out very nice, with a smooth texture and great flavor. Definitely will make again.