Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 to 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 to 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 flour tortillas (6 inches)
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion until the meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the beans, chili powder, cumin and salt.
- Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Arrange tortillas over the top. Combine soup and tomatoes; pour over tortillas. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until heated through.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 363 calories, 18g fat (8g saturated fat), 72mg cholesterol, 941mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 4g fiber), 28g protein.
Aug 15, 2020
Great flavor, but I thought it was rather dry.
Jul 14, 2020
It was really tasty and got 2 thumbs up from my parents. I used corn tortillas since that’s what I had. I used a little less beef, about 1.8 pounds. I think I’d use 1 1/2 pounds next time. I added a half cup of cheese and used the low end of the spices as a courtesy to my mom. I think everyone went back for seconds. I served it with chips & queso on the side plus a tossed salad. To the sooner fan, we couldn’t even taste the cream of mushroom soup. Even with extra cheese, mine came out with less calories since I used lean beef and less of it. Probably the corn tortillas instead of flour helped too.
Jul 6, 2020
I made this but used cream of chicken soup instead of mushroom - it was delicious!
Jul 5, 2020
Cream of Mushroom soup in a Southwestern casserole sounds really strange. Going to pass on this one.
Jun 26, 2020
It was good, but my tortillas were very soggy. Will try putting them on the bottom next time.
Jun 26, 2020
Made this for dinner last night, and my husband and I really enjoyed it! My husband even took some of the leftovers for his lunch today. We'll be making this one again.
Jun 19, 2020
Love it!! I added some more spice with the cheese and salsa verde!! Awesome!! Thanks!!
Jun 18, 2020
First time to make this casserole. Really enjoyed it and will make again only to mix the tomato/soup all together with the beans so it is bound together. I followed the comment to add extra cheese and did add tortillas torn and put on the bottom of the dish. Mine turned out looking as good as the picture. A keeper!!
Jun 17, 2020
Great base recipe!! You can vary it to your family’s specific taste! Love it!!
Jun 16, 2020
I try not to change a recipe until I try it the original way but after reading reviews I made a few changes. I used Rotel with diced chilies and since I only had 4 cheese sliced Mexican , I used that. I also tore up 3 corn tortillas for the bottom of the casserole and five to go on the top. I used extra cheese before I put torn tortillas on top and then added more cheese to cover them. I mixed the soup and tomatoes with the meat after cooking. I used the recipe spices. Super easy and because my hubby prefers only a little spice, it was perfect. He has asked that I make it again.