Fig-Glazed Chicken with White Beans
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 3/4 cup fig preserves
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 4 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 bone-in chicken thighs (about 2-1/4 pounds)
- 4 shallots, coarsely chopped
- 1 can (15 ounces) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- Mix first 8 ingredients. In a Dutch oven over medium-high heat, brown chicken in batches, starting skin side down. Remove from pan, reserving drippings.
- In drippings, saute shallots until golden brown, 2-3 minutes. Stir in preserves mixture; bring to a boil, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Add chicken. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 5 minutes.
- Add beans; return to a boil. Cook, uncovered, until a thermometer inserted in chicken reads 170°-175°, 12-15 minutes.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 405 calories, 15g fat (4g saturated fat), 81mg cholesterol, 287mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (25g sugars, 3g fiber), 26g protein.
Jul 9, 2020
To Sarah: I wondered the same thing. I went to Amazon and found out that sherry vinegar is expensive. Then I googled it and found out that sherry vinegar is my nature expensive because it is imported. I also found out in my Google search that rice wine vinegar is a good substitute. HTH! I am hoping to give this a try, so I ordered some fig jam on Amazon.
Apr 3, 2019
I have everything except sherry vinager. Can I use Apple cider vinegar as substitute? Also have white cooking wine and plain white vinegar.
Feb 2, 2019
Loved this dish! I didn't have white beans so I skipped those but served the chicken and sauce over rice. It was delicious! Slightly sweet and savory!
Dec 5, 2018
This is incredible! I do not change a thing, save I double the sauce and beans portion of the dish because it is just too good with fresh-baked bread. Thank you for sharing.
Feb 21, 2018
This was very good. I made a few changes: cut the recipe in half, used skinless boneless thighs, omitted the beans, substituted dry sherry for sherry vinegar and onion for shallots. I also added about 2 teaspoons of tapioca to the sauce for thickening. The recommended cooking time was about right for the s-b thighs. We’ll have this again!
Feb 12, 2018
This was a delicious sauce! I added carrots to the beans and both picked up the sauce wonderfully!One note 15 min after the browning and 5 min after adding the beans was no where near enough time. I would make it and extra 30 min to get it to 175 degrees.With that being said I put 1 in 10 recipes I try in my “special book”... this one will definitely be in!Yummy!