Meet the Cook: My rancher husband is crazy about rice, less so about zucchini. But when I serve this flavorful combination, he comes back for more. We put up hay and have cows and calves, which keeps us pretty busy. We are fortunate to have our daughter and son-in-law here to help so we have time for a few hobbies. -Patricia Archie, Glendo, Wyoming
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1 egg
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 2-1/2 teaspoons garlic salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 2 cups sliced zucchini
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- In a large bowl, combine the egg, Worcestershire sauce, onion, celery, 1-1/2 teaspoons garlic salt and pepper. Add beef and mix well. Sprinkle with bread crumbs; mix just until combined. Shape into 2-in. balls. Place meatballs on a greased rack in a shallow baking pan. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 20 minutes or until meat is no longer pink.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, combine cornstarch and broth until smooth. Stir in the stewed tomatoes, zucchini, oregano, sugar, basil and remaining garlic salt. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Drain meatballs; top with the tomato mixture. Bake 10 minutes longer or until heated through.