Festive Cauliflower Casserole
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1 large head cauliflower (about 2 pounds), cut into florets
- 1/4 cup diced green pepper
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 jar (2 ounces) diced pimientos, drained
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese, divided
- In a large saucepan, place 1 in. of water; add the cauliflower. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5-10 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain. Place in a greased 8-in. square baking dish.
- In a large saucepan, saute green pepper and mushrooms in butter until tender. Add flour and salt; stir until blended. Gradually add milk; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; add pimientos. Stir in 3/4 cup cheese until melted; pour over cauliflower.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 20 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese; bake, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 190 calories, 12g fat (7g saturated fat), 36mg cholesterol, 445mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 9g protein.
Dec 1, 2015
I hadn't made this casserole in years, but it was requested at my family's thanksgiving feast. I was a little worried that it wouldn't reheat well after reading one of the reviews. I normally make and serve this right away. I decided to put this together the day before thanksgiving and bake the day of. It turned out wonderful and there were no leftovers. I think I will try this again for Christmas dinner using pepper jack cheese.
Dec 20, 2014
This. Is really good. I made it last Christmas and will make it again.
Apr 13, 2011
No comment left
Dec 16, 2010
Like the name says, this casserole looks very festive with the green pepper and pimientos. I don't like jar mushrooms, so I sauteed 8 oz of sliced baby bellas. That turned out to be a little too much, so if you make that substitution only use 4 oz. Note that the casserole doesn't reheat very well since it gets a little watery from the cauliflower.
Sep 4, 2010
I make this casserole all year round. Sometimes I use pepperjack cheese. This casserole is a hit with kids and adults
Dec 23, 2009
No comment left