Total TimePrep: 20 min. + rising Cook: 20 min.
Makesabout 2-1/2 dozen
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1-1/2 cups warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup cold mashed potatoes
- 1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 5-1/2 to 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Additional oil for deep-fat frying
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm milk. Add potatoes, 1/2 cup sugar, oil, salt, vanilla, baking soda, baking powder and eggs; mix well. Add enough flour to form a soft dough. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down; roll out on a floured surface to 1/2-in. thickness. Cut with a 3-in. doughnut cutter. Place on greased baking sheets; cover and let rise until almost doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the cinnamon and remaining sugar; set aside. Heat oil in an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer to 350°; fry doughnuts until golden on both sides. Drain on paper towels; roll in cinnamon-sugar while still warm.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Apr 20, 2020
I have made these 2x and my entire family Loves it .. I did decrease 1/4 cup milk and added 1/4 cup milk to proof my yeast first . These are very soft and fluffy . They freeze well I have a 11 year old by that loves these he puts in microwave fora few seconds . It makes alot. I made some thinner and they are just as good. We used solid round cup also and just as good. This is a keeper recipe. Its the mash potatoes thats the secret. Stays soft for a long time .
May 30, 2018
The best doughnuts I've had so far! I heartily agree with the other reviewer that these do taste like Krispy Kremes. Actually, I would say these are even better! We coated some with cinnamon sugar, regular and strawberry glaze YUM! 5/30/18
Apr 7, 2013
No comment left
Mar 10, 2010
Loved the doughnuts. They tasted just like Krisy Kream. I'm making again today making only a half of a recipe. The last time I tried this recipe I had way too many for 9 doughnut lovers.
Mar 18, 2007
No comment left