Favorite Cornmeal Yeast Bread
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + rising Bake: 35 min.
Makes2 loaves (16 slices each)
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3-1/2 to 4 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk, sugar, butter, egg, cornmeal, salt and 1-1/2 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Punch dough down. Divide in half and shape into two loaves. Place in greased 8x4-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to cool on wire racks.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 93 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 13mg cholesterol, 98mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Aug 9, 2020
I have made this recipe about 6 times We absolutely love the hint of sweetness and corn. Toasts great in the morning and also makes great French toast. This has become one of my husbands favorite breads that I make. And it always comes out perfect. I do substitute about 1/2 cup of whole wheat flour but that isn’t necessary...just the way I like to bake
Oct 20, 2018
A very light and tasty bread! Loved the texture and had a nice mild cornmeal texture.
Sep 15, 2011
Easy to make and also great toasted.