Favorite Christmas Breakfast Casserole
Total TimePrep: 10 min. + chilling Bake: 50 min. + standing
- 7 slices white bread, crusts removed and cubed
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 6 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- In a greased 11x7-in. baking dish, combine the bread cubes and cheese. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, mustard, salt and pepper; pour over bread and cheese. Sprinkle with bacon. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 291 calories, 17g fat (9g saturated fat), 202mg cholesterol, 677mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 1g fiber), 18g protein.
Nov 20, 2018
Taste was great. Bottom was mushy even though I baked it for the allotted time. Next time I will either bake longer or reduce the amount of milk.
Jan 23, 2016
It was pretty good. My kids loved it though. I changed it slightly. I fried a little link sausage a little and omitted the bacon. Instead of salt and pepper I used Tony's Cajun seasoning. Also added diced canned jalapeno peppers to taste with the sausage on top. Next time I will add chopped onion, minced garlic with the sausage when I fry it. Maybe green pepper too.
Dec 7, 2015
Fabulous Christmas Breakfast Casserole !!!!
Oct 24, 2015
So delicious! Easy healthified with whole wheat bread (no need to remove crusts), reduced fat cheese, turkey bacon, & egg whites from a carton. Enjoy!- Theresa
Feb 6, 2015
I enjoyed this recipe. I will definitely be making this again. Thank You.
Dec 26, 2014
Made this for Christmas brunch and my family loved it, myself included, and I am not the biggest fan of eggs. This is definitely going to be repeated.
Mar 30, 2014
I "healthified" this a bit by using homemade multigrain bread and Canadian bacon. Easy to put together and I liked how it puffed up.
Feb 19, 2014
I have made this at least once a month because my daughter keeps asking for it. She eats about two pieces and loves having it for breakfast before school. Instead of bread I use non-frozen hash-browns; they are so easy to pop out of the fridge and pour right in.
Feb 14, 2014
I made this for Christmas morning. Great that I was able to assemble this the night before. Baked it the next morning. It was great! Light and fluffy and delicious!
Dec 30, 2013
I've been making this for years. Our family version is called "morning after casserole". My family asks for it often. I've even played with the ingredients and used different meats and/or cheeses. It's awesome for a morning when you've had guests spend the night. I've even taken it to a pot luck! Rave reviews every time. This is a can't miss recipe!