Family-Pleasing Sloppy Joes
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1 tablespoon barbecue sauce
- 6 hamburger buns, split
- In a large skillet, cook turkey and onion over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until turkey is no longer pink, breaking up turkey into crumbles; drain if necessary. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in sugar, flour and pepper until blended.
- Stir in ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, mustard and barbecue sauce. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 10 minutes to allow flavors to blend. Spoon meat mixture onto bun bottoms; replace tops.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled meat mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if necessary.
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich: 297 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 52mg cholesterol, 846mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 1g fiber), 19g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 2 lean meat.
Aug 23, 2020
We loved this recipe. I used hamburger and added some sweet red peppers.
Aug 22, 2020
Turkey???? What th... There's no turkey in Sloppy Joes.
Apr 10, 2018
We all really enjoyed it. Not too sweet for us, but we do tend to like sweet things!
Dec 17, 2017
Pretty good...I put in some green pepper with the onion but you could add a little shredded zucchini and shredded carrot as well. I skipped the Worcestershire sauce as I do not care for the taste...didn't miss it.
Oct 18, 2015
Certainly a family favorite. The best part is they don't even know they are eating turkey!
Feb 10, 2015
No comment left
Feb 3, 2015
This was a little sweet, so I may cut back the sugar next time. I will never buy the canned sloppy joe sauce again!
Nov 11, 2014
I made this tonight but also add a handful of shredded carrot to the onion as I sauteed it. I also put the entire recipe in the crock pot to keep warm until dinner time. It was fabulous! My toddler ate it too!
Jun 16, 2014
This is a favorite in my household - exactly as written. We especially enjoy them on onion rolls.
Apr 18, 2013
No comment left