Easy Coconut Cream Pie
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups whole milk
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 1-1/2 cups sweetened shredded coconut, toasted, divided
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked
- In a medium saucepan, combine sugar, flour and salt. Stir in milk; cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer.
- Remove from the heat; gradually stir about 1 cup of hot mixture into beaten eggs. Return all to saucepan; cook and stir over medium heat until nearly boiling. Reduce heat; cook and stir about 2 minutes more (do not boil). Remove from the heat; stir in 1 cup coconut, butter and vanilla.
- Pour into pie shell; sprinkle with remaining coconut. Chill for several hours before serving.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 376 calories, 18g fat (11g saturated fat), 84mg cholesterol, 249mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (32g sugars, 1g fiber), 7g protein.
Jul 24, 2020
I have made this many times now. It is so good! I followed the advice in the comments and used 2 T. of flour and 1 T. of cornstarch instead of 3 T. of flour. It works fine. You do have to be patient with cooking it. Wait until it is thickened. I always add an extra cup or so of coconut, because 1 1/2 cups doesn't seem like enough.
May 24, 2020
It never did get thick ended up pour it out!!!
Dec 1, 2019
I’ve been making Coconut Cream pies for 50 yrs. This year I had forgot the copy of my go to recipe, I’ve used the past few yrs (we travel each Thanksgiving) so I chose this one after searching the internet. Cannot believe the negative reviews. The pie went together seamlessly
Oct 23, 2019
Made recipe as written but it would not thicken up with the 3 Tablespoons flour . Had to add 3 tablespoons cornstarch in 2 tablespoons cream to recipe to get it to thicken. Recipe is good. Used Splenda granular instead of sugar. Will use cornstarch next time in place of flour as suggested by another person.
Jun 7, 2019
Followed recipe to a "T" and after having it for dessert I woefully remembered I had an excellent recipe from decades ago and I wish I had used it. This recipe is too sweet (reduce sugar to 2/3 cup), I love coconut but this has WAY too much (reduce to 3/4 cup), omit flour and substitute 1/4 cup cornstarch instead for velvety creaminess and will actually set up and hold it's shape on a plate/no need to use a spoon), increase vanilla to 1 1/2 Tbsp. Do this and you'll get an great pie!! Imho, this was not a tested recipe - it went in the trash this morning and I remade this afternoon using my old standby Coconut Cream Pie recipe - use the changes I've mentioned.
Oct 1, 2018
Can you use almond milk instead of whole milk. We are lactose intolerant.
Aug 3, 2017
No comment left
Jul 21, 2017
No comment left
Mar 20, 2017
Awesome recipe! Then again I love coconut! Thanks for sharing!
Mar 7, 2017
We enjoyed this pie. I prepared it as written except for substituting 1 Tablespoon cornstarch for 1 Tablespoon of the flour as suggested by chefkatkat in her review. I'd intended to top the pie with freshly whipped cream but found it didn't need any. I served it with a few fresh strawberries to add a bit of color.